Friday, March 29, 2013

The bathroom

The bathroom is finished!  Ok That's a lie.  I'm sorry, I shouldn't lie to you. I don't know why I did that. I've just been waiting so long to say (type) those words!

The bathroom is almost finished! Other than a few smallish finishing touches our almost three year renovation is done.  Why did it take so long? Well we did it all by our selves with some help from family and friends. We also planned and had a wedding and then had an unplanned baby in the middle of it.  

Like the rest of the house the bathroom was built in the 70s and never updated. It was a beautiful blue. Seriously, everything was blue. The tub, toilet, sink, carpet and wallpaper were all a different shade. The best part was the bookshelf next to the toilet. There was a bookshelf... next to the toilet.  Ironically it was not blue.




Needless to say we gutted the whole thing. 





We wanted to put two sinks in with a vanity in the middle.  We looked for a plumber that wouldn't cost a lot and finally found one.  Then I had to fire him because Robert noticed that he wasn't plumbing the sinks correctly.  Robert got some advice from a former plumber and ended up doing it himself. Finding, firing and then figuring out how to plumb ended up being the longest part of the renovation.

Then it was time to put up the cement board and start the (long) tiling process.



That's me tiling a floor 8 months pregnant.  I didn't get much done before I decided to wait until after the baby was born.  My dad helped me finish the floor when Nola was a few months old.  That was great because the measure and math part was not my favorite.  

After tiling there was grouting and then installing all of the fun stuff!  We decided on vessel sinks because I really like the look of them. Plus they look like little baby hot tubs!


After all the install we were finally finished!  We couldn't be happier with the end result.
  




Before & After


I'm trying to convince Rob to start renovating the second bathroom this weekend :)


No comments:

Post a Comment